Deer Management Program
Clinton Township Deer Hunt
For the 2023/2024 Season
May 25, 2023
REVISED VERSION 8/22/23
Key points about the program for the 2023/2024 season:
- You can obtain the applications by going to www.clintontwpnj.gov/boards-commissions/open-space-advisory-committee or go to the Clinton Township website and then look under Government where you will see Open Space Committee. Click on Open Space and you will see the link for the Deer Management Program. Once in there you will see all the forms and other pertinent information that is required to be submitted.
- If submitted applications are incomplete, incorrect or received prior to the 8:00AM submission time they will not be accepted.
- Submitted applications will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis. This will be determined by the date/time stamp on your emailed application.
- You must identify the properties you would like to hunt in order of preference and you can only select a maximum of 3 properties. Properties will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. If your first choice property has been fully subscribed, then your subsequent preferences will be used in an attempt to assign you a property based on the order identified on your application. If you don’t identify subsequent properties, you might not be assigned a property.
- Certain properties will be bow only for the 2023/2024 hunting season. These include Marookian (NORTH & SOUTH) and White Cloud.
- Team sizes are a minimum of TWO and maximum of THREE. No teams of one will be allowed. If you submit your application as a resident, the primary team member must be a resident or employee of Clinton Township. Other team members do not have to be residents or employees of Clinton Township.
- No hunters under the age of 18 or apprentice hunters will be allowed.
- You and each team member are required to provide a copy of a certificate of insurance confirming general liability insurance with coverage with combined single limits for bodily injury and property damage of at least $1,000,000 per single occurrence and $1,000,000 annual aggregate. The insurance requirements set forth herein can be satisfied through membership in the New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs or other sources . Once you receive your current insurance certificate, it must be submitted via the online application process specified above. Starting with the 2023/2024 hunting season, in addition to satisfactory insurance, you are also required to provide proof of membership in an organization such as the NJ Federation of Sportmans' Club, or equivalent. We have recommneded the Federation insurance but if you have other satisfactory insurance that will be satisfactory as long as you can provide the necessary proof of insurance.
- There will be a mandatory orientation meeting on Tuesday, July 11th at Bundt Park at 6:00PM. The orientation will be held under the pavilion. Someone from the team must be present at the orientation. Other team members are not required to attend but it is strongly encouraged that they do so. It is important that all teams understand the rules which is why attendance at the orientation is strongly recommended. If at least one of your team members is not present at the orientation you will not be assigned a property.
- All permits along with maps of the property you have been awarded will be handed out at the orientation.
- The fee for the permit for the entire 2023/2024 hunting season is $100 per team and can only be paid at the orientation when you receive your permit and other paperwork.
- There have been couple of changes to the program for the 2023/2024 hunting season. They include:
- First deer taken DOES NOT have to be a doe except where state law dictates that a doe must be taken first. Each team is required to take a minimum of 4 does. If a team does not harvest at least 4 does then that team or its members will not be given priority for a property in the subsequent year.
- Only one treestand per hunter will be allowed. If an individual wants to relocate their treestand they must communicate with the other hunters on the property before a move is made. If you want to use a climber or a hang and hunt treestand set-up you can but they must come down when you finish hunting on that day.
- Ground blinds are not allowed.
- As a one-time accommodation you can add or delete a team member at a cost of $25.
- As an example, a team of three can drop a team member and add a new member with all of the appropriate paperwork at a cost of $25.
- Additionally, a team of two can add a third team member with all the appropriate paperwork at a cost of $25.
- All team members can hunt at the same time.
I am looking forward to working with you this year and making sure your deer hunting experience in the Township is as positive one. If you have any ideas, feedback or questions as the season progresses please don't hesitate to contact me.
Best of luck to you and thank you for you participation in this process.